Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March & St Pat's At Bistro Maison

March has come, & again I'll be playing harp at Bistro Maison, a lovely French restaurant on 3rd Street in McMinnville - or, as the Wiki entry states: The precise Gaelic term for the' harp of the Gael' is clàrsach Ghàidhealach (Sc.)/cláirseach Ghaelach (Ir.), meaning Gaelic harp)

I'll be there for both Lunch & Dinner on Saint Patrick's Day lunch, Thursday March 17th. I've done this several years running, it's
a popular event, so make your reservations! This is a lovely setting with great food, & harp - what's not to like?

Most of the tunes will be Irish, with a smattering of other Celtic pieces. & my harp, Rowan Luchair, is modeled on a lowhead Irish harp , in her luthier Rick Kemper's words: "Top players from Ireland & Scotland seem to prefer small harps with lighter tension that can respond to the blazing ornamentation they put into their music. Luchair (Gaelic for 'joy' or 'delight') incorporates the best features of these harps."

A young dancing friend is working on learing the Gaelic, & asks me 'how are you' -
Conas tá; tú? (co-nas tah tu) . . . . to which I can reply 'Tá mé go hiontach" (tah-may go hee-un-tachk) - I'm wonderful! or "Tá mé go maith" (tah may go mah) - I'm well!

So -
Ar mhaith leat lón? (air why lyat lahn) - 'would you like lunch?' Come to Bistro Maison!

No comments: